Areas of Expertise

We specialise in all Immigration matters and in particular:

EEA/EU LAW in Post Brexit Context

We offer comprehensive services to EEA nationals and their family members in relation to all aspects of EEA Regulations and EUSS ( European Union Settlement Scheme). We understand complexities related to the Directives and the EUSS regime. We offer advice and representation with post Brexit focus.

EEA Cases ( Family Permit)

A family permit refers to an entry clearance visa was available to you if you were the family member or extended family member of an EEA national and that EEA national was in the UK exercising their ‘Treaty rights’ or will be coming to the UK to exercise their ‘Treaty rights’.

Following Brexit this route finished on 30 June 2021.However, there are many refusals for granting Family Permits under EEA Regulations where the applicants have been granted Right of Appeal (ROA).

UK Residence Card

Non-EEA national family members and/or extended family members of an EEA national exercising their treaty rights are eligible to apply for EEA residence card once they are in the UK following entry clearance or have formed relationships with the EEA nationals in the UK in accordance with the guidelines applicable following Brexit . The mandatory evidence in this context is the evidence of their relationship to the EEA national and also evidence that the EEA national is exercising his/her treaty rights in the UK. The validity of a residence card is 5 years, after which the family member can apply for permanent residence in the UK alone or in line with the EEA national sponsor.

Permanent Residence Card

The EEA nationals exercising treaty rights for five years and their family members residing in the UK under the regulation for the same period are entitled to apply for a permanent residence card. There is no English language requirement or requirement to have passed the Life in the UK test to apply for a permanent residence card.

As an EEA national you have to prove that you have been exercising ‘Treaty rights’ for the entire 5 years being resident in the UK. As a family member of an EEA national you must evidence the continued relationship over the 5 years and evidence that the EEA national has been exercising their ‘Treaty rights’ continuously for the relevant 5 year period.

For a preliminary discussion and information please contact us:

EEA Appeals

There is an ever-increasing body of case law related to EEA cases. We understand the complexities of the rules in this area and work with expert Counsels in this area to provide a competent and quality representation at the hearings.

We specialise in filing appeals under EEA Regulations and representations under the EEA Regulations at the Immigration and Asylum Chamber. All appeals are now being filed on the online portal of the IAC known as MyHMCTS.

T: 01217738911

M: +44 7828386632

Email -

EUSS Appeals & Challenges

The UK left the European Union on 31 January 2020 at 11 PM followed by a period of transition ending on 31 December 2020. EU citizens and their family members who wish to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021 needed to apply for an immigration status to remain lawfully in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). The scheme has seen a high number of applications . Given the complexities of the applications several of them do not succeed. The application under EUSS originally only allowed an administrative review to challenge any case working errors. The Home Office has however introduced The Immigration (Citizens Rights Appeals) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020 on the 31st January 2020 which now entails a right of appeal to the Immigration and Asylum Chamber.

Challenging a decision under EUSS

EU nationals and their family members may have different options if the Home Office has decided to refuse any application under the EU Settlement Scheme.

  • To reapply for free with new evidence

  • Apply for an administrative review as per the right given

  • Appeal the decision to the First Tier Tribunal, IAC for all refusals for the applications made on or after 11 PM on the 31 January 2020

Administrative Review

Administrative review refers to a process to request the Home Office decisions to be reconsidered on grounds that they were incorrectly granted pre-settled status, when they believe they qualify for settled status, or on eligibility grounds. (Notably there is no right of administrative review against refusals on suitability grounds e.g. criminality) . An application for administrative review can be submitted from inside or outside the UK within 28 days of the date of the decision or within 7 days if the applicant is detained in the UK.

The process for Administrative Review under the EUSS allows an applicant to submit further evidence, which will then be considered alongside the evidence submitted along with the original application. There is a fee payable of £80. The fee will be refunded if the review is successful on merit but not in case the decision is overturned on the basis of new/additional evidence submitted at the time of Administrative Review.

Appeal at the FTTIAC

An applicant may challenge a decision under EUSS failing to grant a settled or pre-settled status or an EUSS family permit / travel permit as set out by the Immigration (Citizens’ Rights Appeals) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020, if such an application was made on or after 11 PM on the 31 January 2020. The appeal must be made within 14 days from the date the decision was sent if the person is in the UK or 28 days if the person is outside the UK.

Our Expertise

Our team at Jusmount & Co Solicitors have a reputable experience in challenging refusals and wrongful decisions via administrative review or appeals on behalf of our clients.

Family Migration and Asylum

The requirements of Immigration Rules with regard to Family migration pose their own challenges which are not easily comprehensible. We tailor our services to the needs of each individual client and provide exceptional standards of service. The focus always is on the clients’ needs and making the immigration process easy and affordable.

It cannot be overemphasised that one of the trickiest parts of applying for a UK visa as a spouse or partner are the financial requirements. Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules contains minimum financial requirements- £18600.00- to be met in entry clearance or leave to remain applications.

The rules for leave to enter and remain are similar, and we will mainly deal with leave to enter, occasionally highlighting the different requirements applicable to leave to remain applications. The evidential requirements under Appendix- FM-SE need a keen eye and meticulous preparation. We make it our business to successfully take you through the maze of the complex requires for entry clearance through to further leave to remain and settlement.

Please contact us for:

We have an impeccable record of advising and lodging the appeal to full representation at court, including appeals inside the rules and outside the rules, in-country and out of country in the following areas:

(Please note that we undertake only privately funded Asylum cases as we do not have a Legal Aid franchise)

    • Student Visas

    • Employer Sponsorship Licences

    • Applications and appeals under the Points Based Scheme s –Tier 1,Tier 2,Tier 4,Tier 5

    • Advice for small businesses and multinational companies seeking skilled staff from overseas

    • Entrepreneur and investor visas

Point Based Immigration System

It was on 31 December 2020 that Freedom of movement between the UK and EU formally eneded. The UK has now implemented a points-based immigration system that treats all EU and non-EU citizens equally. If the Employers want to hire anyone from outside the UK, excluding Irish citizens, they will need to apply for permission in advance i.e. a sponsor licence to hire most eligible employees from outside the UK.

Under the points-based immigration system, anyone coming to the UK for work must meet a specific set of requirements for which they will score points. Visas are then awarded to those who gain enough points. The system provides flexible arrangements for UK employers to recruit skilled workers from around the world through a number of different immigration routes.

Skilled Worker Route

Under the Skilled Worker route, anyone to be hired from outside the UK will need to demonstrate that:

  • they have a job offer from a Home Office licensed sponsor

  • the job offer is at the required skill level – RQF 3 or above (A Level and equivalent)

  • they speak English to the required standard

In addition to this, the job offer must meet the applicable minimum salary threshold. This is the higher of either:

the general salary threshold of £25,600, or

the specific salary requirement for their occupation, known as the ‘going rate’

Global Talent route

The Global Talent route enables the most highly skilled individuals, who can achieve the required level of points, to enter the UK without a job offer if they are endorsed by a recognised UK body, as approved by the Home Office.

Applicants can also work in the UK on a Global Talent visa if they’ve won an eligible award. These prizes have been identified by the Global Talent endorsing bodies as demonstrating exceptional talent. Top scientists and researchers can benefit from a quicker endorsement process as part of a fast track STEM scheme.

As of January 2021, the current list of approved endorsing bodies is as follows:

The Royal Society, for science and medicine

The Royal Academy of Engineering, for engineering

The British Academy, for humanities

UK Research and Innovation, for science and research

Tech Nation, for digital technology

Arts Council England, for arts and culture

Graduate route

The Graduate route enables international students who have been awarded their degree to stay in the UK and work, or look for work, at any skill level for two years, or three years for doctoral students. It is an unsponsored route, meaning you do not need a sponsor licence to hire someone with a Graduate visa.

Graduate visa holders are able to work flexibly, switch jobs and develop their career as required. They cannot extend their visa, however they can switch to a different visa, for example a Skilled Worker visa, once they have found a suitable job.

Intra-company Transfer

The Intra-company visa allows multinational organisations to facilitate temporary moves into the UK for key business personnel through their subsidiary branches, subject to ICT sponsorship requirements being met. The route requires applicants to be in roles skilled to RQF 6 (graduate level equivalent), and subject to a different minimum salary threshold from the main Skilled Worker route.

Other routes

Start-up and Innovator

The Start-up and Innovator routes are designed to attract entrepreneurial talent and innovative, scalable business ideas to the UK. Start-up is for those setting up an innovative business for the first time, and Innovator is for those with industry experience and at least £50,000 funding. Applicants can be individuals or teams.

Health and Care Visa

The Health and Care visa is part of the Skilled Worker route. It enables individuals to come to the UK to work if they are working in eligible health occupations, with a job offer from the NHS, social care sector or organisations that provide services to the NHS.

Creative route

This route is for applicants in the creative industry who are entering the United Kingdom for short-term contracts or engagements for up to 12 months. Applicants must have a confirmed job offer and their employment sponsored by a UK employer licensed by the Home Office.

Sporting routes

International sportspeople must also have a confirmed job offer and their employment sponsored by a UK employer licenced by the Home Office. Additionally, they must have an endorsement from the relevant governing sports body.

Seasonal Workers Pilot

The Seasonal Workers Pilot is currently running until the end of 2021 enabling the recruitment of a limited number of temporary workers for specific roles in the horticultural sector.

Youth Mobility Scheme

Employers can also benefit from the youth mobility scheme. The UK has arrangements in place with eight countries and territories to enable around 20,000 young people to come to the UK to work and travel each year. Applicants must be 18 to 30 years old and can stay up to two years.

We appreciate that the laws and policies can often be complex and inherently complicated, making it difficult to know what the options available to you. The fast paced nature of dynamic Immigration Rules , politics, world events and policy change mean that the law changes frequently, sometimes without notice. With the continuing abolition of many appeal rights, it is more important than ever to ensure your initial application is made in accordance with the rules and with the correct valid specified evidence.

At Jusmount & Co Solicitors we aim to simplify the legal process so that you can understand and ensure that your interests are fully protected and competently represented.

We encourage you to contact us with your queries. We strongly believe that no query is too small or trivial and we aim to help you find the most effective solution for your matter.

Further information for: